Loads of people ask me at this time of year how to care for very dry/chapped hands. Here is my easy 6 step advice:
1. Always try to wear gloves outside, keeping your hands warm will stop the skin drying out so much.
2. Keep well hydrated yourself, drink plenty of water or herbal tea.
3. Be careful what you wash them with. Many handwashes contain harsh chemicals such as Sodium Laurel Sulphate (SLS) which is a known irritant. Try to chose a gentle one which is low in sulphates or organic.
4. After washing your hands, use a good quality hand lotion, just a small amount and massage gently into your hands for a minute. My soothing organic handbag handlotion is ideal for this, as you can carry it with you all the time.
5. Try to use rubber gloves for washing up and protect them whilst you are doing other household jobs. If you are allergic to rubber gloves, you could wear cotton gloves inside them or you can get hypo-allergenic ones from Boots.
6. Avoid using any moisturising products that contain petro-chemicals; they actually cause chapping and long term will make your skin much more dry. Initially your skin may feel lubricated, but what it actually does is clog pores and interfere with the skin’s ability to moisturise itself. Repeated use may set off skin conditions such as acne and dermatitis. Look out for any of the following listed in ingredients: mineral oil, liquidum paraffinum, paraffin oil, paraffin wax and petrolatum. Avoid them like the plague – cosmetic manufacturers use them because they are incredibly cheap.
That’s all for now. Look after your hands and yourself.
www.lj-natural.com – T: 07990 598 238