Reasons to love Epsom salts …. A few weeks ago we had a health problem in our family; my gorgeous little boy started suffering with severe migraines. This totally floored us because my husband and I have never had a migraine, we had no idea what the symptoms were or what was going on. After lots and lots of days off school, a few GP visits and one dramatic hospital trip (yes in an ambulance) the diagnosis is almost certainly that he is suffering from abdominal migraines.
So I immediately set about sorting out the natural ways to relieve the symptoms and hopefully lessen the episodes. To cut a long story short, I discovered that MAGNESIUM is one of the most important minerals that your body needs to prevent migraines, but I also discovered how very important magnesium is to our whole body, and how it is quite hard to digest. I then stumbled across Epsom Salts. And here is what I discovered:
Benefits: Epsom salts are one of the oldest bathing remedies and with good reason; here’s just a handful of benefits: they help to calm problematic skin, increase magnesium levels, relieve stress, bring muscular relief to the body and help the body to reduce toxin levels.
The Problem: Many, if not most, of us are deficient in magnesium – you can take a supplement, try to increase magnesium rich foods in your diet, such as spinach, pumpkin seeds, natural live yogurt, almonds, avocado and bananas…. or you can soak in a gorgeous aromatherapeutic bath with my new bath salts.
Why do we need it: magnesium helps the body regulate hundreds of enzymes and plays an important role in many bodily functions, like muscle control, electrical impulses, energy production and the elimination of harmful toxins. Magnesium deficiency causes heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive problems, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a number of other ailments.
The Answer: So let’s get in a heavenly warm bath with Epsom salts. Here’s some science: while the magnesium we eat in foods can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels in the body from soaking in a bath of Epsom salts because it is easily absorbed through the skin.
According to the Epsom Salt Industry Council, here are just some of the benefits you will gain from soaking in Epson salt:
• Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
• Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
• Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
• Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
• Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well-being and relaxation.
• Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps, particularly after sports.
• Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
So that gorgeous indulgent bath you should be treating yourself to is not only a great time to chill out and relax, but it’s actually essential to your total well-being. Go on, run that bath, choose something fabulous to read and climb in, what are you waiting for?
What to do: add a good shake of my fabulous new Beautiful Bathing Salts to you bath, just as you get in, stir around then soak for around 15 minutes at least three times a week.