Lots of customers ask me about dry scalps, it’s a really common problem; I suffer from it myself. I think the big problem is hair washing too often and using a shampoo with evil ingredients in.
Shampoos nearly always contain sulphates, specifically Sodium Laurel Sulphate (SLS) which is a known irritant. Sulphates are a frothing agent; you will find them in your washing up liquid, it’s what removes all the grease from your dishes. Sulphates remove all moisture. Therefore if you wash your hair every day using something that removes moisture and irritates, you are likely to have a sore dry scalp.
I’ve taken this from the Green People website:
“Effects of SLS on the Skin
- SLS is commonly used in research laboratories as the standard ingredient (upon which all other substances are compared to) for irritating the skin.
- A solution of just 2% SLS can increase skin thickness, cause irritation, inflammation (1) and increase other forms of immune activity in the skin (2). Some shampoos can contain more than 50% SLS.
- SLS can cause an increase in enzyme levels in the skin, leading to redness and swelling (3). It can also lead to dryness, roughness and even flaking of the skin.”
Let me just repeat that – some shampoos contain 50%!! Please read you ingredient labels.
On request, I make a liquid form of Organic Scratchy Balm containing nearly all the same very hydrating oils (avocado, evening primrose etc.) that you can apply directly to the very dry areas of your scalp and then wash out in the morning. This also works really well on eczema and psoriasis in the scalp. If you’d like me to make some for you, please contact me, but the key is to prevent the dry scalp in the first place by:
- Use a really gentle organic shampoo, with low sulphates, and specifically NO Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS).
- Try to wash your hair every other day, or even every third day. It probably doesn’t need washing every day.
Hope this helps.
For more info on natural and gentle beauty, head over to my shop