A product for teenage skin that does not strip their skin of all it’s natural and needed oils. Like virtually all of my products, I stumble into them because of a need at home. My beautiful 11 year old daughter started getting the odd little pimple on her cheeks and nose, and at the same time, many customers asked me what cleanser I could recommend for their teenage daughters. Well I looked for something genuinely natural and effective for younger skin, and I discovered ….nothing…
So I got busy in the kitchen and created this very simple but effective cleansing oil. Read on to learn everything you need to know about young skin.
- Patch test behind ear and wait 24 hours. If no reaction occurs, start using, as below.
- At night, before bed (you only need to do this once a day) tie hair back from face with provided hair band and stand in front of the bathroom sink.
- Squirt a 10p size blob of the cleansing oil palms. Massage onto your DRY skin, concentrate on any spotty/pimply areas.
- Get the muslin cloth and dip into hand-hot water, wring out excess water.
- Gently and firmly place cloth against your face, hold for a few seconds, and then remove ALL traces of oil from your face with the cloth. Do not scrub.
- Gently pat face dry with a clean, dry towel. That’s it, nothing else is needed.
- Rinse cloth thoroughly and leave somewhere to dry (wash at 40 degrees once a week).
NB During the first few days, it’s possible that you may get a few pimples coming through as your skin adjusts and pores become unblocked. Your sebum levels may change. You should not need to moisturise, this cleansing oil should leave your skin feeling clean, settled and soft.
If you get any redness/itchiness/dryness then please stop using.
Here’s what one mum has sent me, “what a brilliant product – not just for my spot prone 12 year old but it has done wonders for me too, so not only for teenagers! You may need to think about a tagline to make sure adults get the benefits of this wonderful cleanser.”
Why A Truly Natural Cleanser Works Over A Traditional, Chemical Product:
- Sebum is an oily substance secreted by the sebaceous glands in our skin. Its main purpose is to make the skin and hair waterproof and to protect them from drying out. It is necessary and natural and we do not want to completely remove it. However, we do want to produce just a normal amount.
- Spots can be caused by hormones, bacteria, over-production of sebum and a build of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin.
- Traditional acne/spot teenage skin treatments focus on drying up your sebum and killing bacteria, but this is often much too harsh.
- When you remove too much of the skin’s natural sebum, it will go into over-drive to produce more, so you will end up in a bad cycle of over-drying skin, which will then quickly become too oily again.
- These traditional shop-bought products also often contain other chemical ingredients which upset the natural balance of your skin, perfume, alcohol, preservatives, all of which are too much for delicate young skin.
- When your skin feels tight following cleansing/washing, it means you have over-cleansed and damaged the skin.
- The best way to naturally deal with hormonal skin is to use products that do not clog your pores so that bacteria cannot build up.
- Oil dissolves oil, so using an oil will actually help to remove any excess oil but allow your skin to naturally produce the correct amount.
- It is important to use the right sort of natural oil though, as some oils (such as coconut or avocado) might block pores.
- This cleansing oil contains a blend of oils that do not clog pores, calms inflammation, reduces bacteria, it is high in linoleic acid (which spot-prone skin is deficient in), which will help to balance and calm skin.
Ingredients chosen for teenage skin because:
Grapeseed: High in linoleic acid, another very light oil, good for all skin types. It does not leave a greasy feeling to the skin after application. Slightly astringent, tightens and tones the skin, making it perfect for hormonal teenage skin.
Jojoba: closely resembles the body’s own natural sebum. Sinks into skin very rapidly, it is nourishing and is good for all skin types. Healing for inflamed skins. Can help control acne and oily skin as excess sebum actually dissolves in jojoba.
Castor: has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, helps to draw impurities from the skin.
Geranium: Hormone regulator, Reduces excess Sebum Production. Calms hormonal moods.
Happy mums say:
“I can’t recommend this product highly enough it’s made a huge difference to my 12 year olds skin, she started getting a lot of blackheads on her nose but this had made them completely disappear xx”
Happy teenagers say:
“My skin felt nice and moisturised after I’d washed it off rather than dry like lots of other skin products.”
“I like the way it feels and it makes my skin feel really soft.”
Ingredients: vitis vinifera seed oil, helianthus annuus seed oil, simmondsia chinesis, ricinus communis, tocopherol, cedrus atlantica, pelargonium graveolens, citrus aurantium (naturally occurring allergens: citral, limonene, linalool, geraniol, citronellol) 100% organic
No parabens, petro-chemicals, artificial fragrance or colour.
Suitable for Vegans
Use within 6 months of opening
Store in a cool dark place
No Animal Testing
If you would like a moisturiser to go on after this, I suggest our Balancing Organic Moisturiser
For more information on settling teenage hormones please visit a qualified naturopath. I highly recommend www.bellawellbeing.co.uk